RE: New CURL platform...?

From: <Nico.Baggus_at_mail.ing.nl>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 16:32:08 +0200

> > Basicly I have a curl for VMS, without SSL.
>
> Cool indeed! Nice work!
>
> > These are much less problems than I had about a year ago when I tried
> > before.
>
> Ah, then we're at least developing in the right direction...
Well the code became more portable.

> > Now were can there be more pitfalls?
> > Where do I have to look for trouble about:
> > Filenames
>
> You seem to have found those.
I meant are there other places were filenames are returned by OS calls
these a are VMS specific on VMS. (asking for home yields f.e.
USER$DISK:[USERNAME],
basically the translation of the logical name SYS$LOGIN from VMS.)
The getpwent() does the same, it fetches the default user directory from the
authorisation
database.
So I really meant to ask are the more such calls?

> > very unixlike features..
> > (filename globbing/enumeration)
VMS Globbing is solved by the application, no expansion on the commandline. The
application gets a specification
with * & % and should by itself work out HOW it wishes to handle it.

One special with VMS is that all characters on the commandline are lowercased
unless enclosed in "-marks
a Curl/VMS command line might look like: curl "-M" to get the manual or
                                                                curl "-F"
"Username=John" "-F" "Password=Doe" http://xxxxx/xxx.cgi
etc.

> Possibly other socket/network-related stuff. I wouldn't know,
> since I'm
> clueless when it comes to VMS.
It uses the BSD model.

> The filename globbing/enumeration stuff is curl client code
> that is basic C
> code, shouldn't make any difference on VMS.
>
> > forking()
>
> No code in curl/libcurl forks, that's just in the test suite
> perl code.
>
> > I can find these things ofcourse but I'm quite busy and this clearly is
> > an aside that maybe can become usefull.
>
> Oh certainly. The more platforms we have curl running on, the more useful it
> gets.
>
> > The testing tool is useless as there is no fork() concept on VMS, I
> > tried to rebuild the testbed, but failed.
>
> Right. We should probably try to hack it into not using forks, or possibly
> have that as an option.
>
> > basic FTP: & HTTP: seem to work.
>
> Then the network and basic must be doing fine.
Thats what I thought/guessed.

> > telnet starts but just hangs waiting for input.
>
> Does VMS have a problem with mixed socket and file handles in
> the select()?
This might very well be the case, does anybody allready have a simple test
program
for this? Probably it is only used for sockets as the select call has a
description
under the title "Socket Routines".

VMS I/O is basically asynchronous with an optional wait for completion
therefore select() is a C-runtime contruct and is I may beleive the
documentation it's
only valid for network I/O.

> > I have no other server available to test against.
With servers I meant ldap:, gopher:, dict: ..., no internet connection either.

How to test file: or is that just a copy of the 'cp' command ;-).

> Well, getting the basics working is a good first step and we
> could get your
> changes into the main sources and then work on the possibly
> still outstanding
> issues.
I cannot make diff's but I can mail a zip with my source tree.

regards,
Nico Baggus

ATTENTION:
The information in this electronic mail message is private and
confidential, and only intended for the addressee. Should you
receive this message by mistake, you are hereby notified that
any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or use of this
message is strictly prohibited. Please inform the sender by
reply transmission and delete the message without copying or
opening it.

Messages and attachments are scanned for all viruses known.
If this message contains password-protected attachments, the
files have NOT been scanned for viruses by the ING mail domain.