RE: cURL installation fails on RedHat Linux 7.1

From: Joe M. <mitchelj_at_dma.org>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 14:48:57 -0400

> > For anyone interested, I found a copy of cURL (curl-7.5.2-2.i386.rpm)
> > included with Powertools for RedHat 7.1 which fixes the dependency
> > problem! I'm not sure why curl-7.7.3-1 (seemingly a more recent version)
> > still has this problem.
>
> ... they were probably built with two different spec files.
>
> The question is, is the package that you managed to install on redhat 7.1
> still possible to install on older redhat 6.x boxes? Redhat has
> gone down the
> one-way path before...
>
> --
> Daniel Stenberg -- curl dude -- http://curl.haxx.se/

That's a very good question. I don't have an older box to check, but I
doubt it would work without recompiling the RPM since the major revision
number of libssl and libcrypto changed from 0 to 1.

> > Unfortunately the dependency is still not met and I?m not sure
> where to go
> > from here. Has anyone run across this and resolved it?
>
> Joe - the problem (per se) is that the RPMS are built on a RH6.2 system,
> where OpenSSL is still at 0.9.5 level, not 0.9.6 like 7.1. All you need
> to do is grab the .src.rpm and do a "rpm --rebuild curl-7.7.3-1.src.rpm"
> on your box, and an appropriate linked binary RPM will be found in
> /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386 when it's done.
>
> I don't have a RH71 box at this time to make them generically
> available...
>
> -te
>
> --
> Troy Engel :: KeyID DF3D5207
> Fear Og. Og have root. Not fear Og, Og teach you fear.

Thanks for the suggestion! It's not necessary for me right now since the
version that came with RedHat 7.1 PowerTools worked, but if I need to
upgrade cURL before this is fixed I'll rebuild from source.

-Joe