Curl proxy behavior

From: Max WebMaster <webmaster_at_maxrocks.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 19:08:00 -0700

Good day:

I have a question about curl's proxy behavior.

I have accidentally mis-typed the IP in the command, say:

curl -x 194.7.106.177:80 http://www.whatever.com/

(the specified IP was no proxy computer) and have noticed
curl has paused for some 20-30 seconds before returning the
expected error message "Can't connect to server (0)".

My question is: What was curl doing those 20-30 seconds?
It certainly knows right away the IP:port was invalid,
doesn't it?

The command specified port 80.
Is curl perhaps scanning other ports on the same machine?
I hope not....

Perhaps Daniel or someone intimately familiar with this
subject can "enlighten" me on this. Thank you and have a
nice weekend.