Re: curl & Solaris and other packages

From: Janne Johansson <jj_at_dynarc.se>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 10:21:12 +0200

> Janne Johansson wrote:
> > /opt/HAXXcurl if you name the pkg HAXXcurl.
> >

> How do you normally get the binaries into the users PATHs? Do you edit
> /etc/profile to add /opt/HAXXcurl/bin to everyones path, or do you manually
> symlink (say) /opt/HAXXcurl/bin/* into /usr/local/bin, or do you leave it up to
> each user to work out where curl is and fix their own .profile or scripts?

I leave it to them. The thing is, I come from a uni where you have 5-6
different programs that want to call themselves "cc" for instance.
In those cases, you see to it that programs dont just end up in /usr/local
because that seems to work on the developers own Linux box at home but
instead try to have them separately and in the best cases, they use
rpath/-R linking so that you don't need to use LD_LIBRARY_PATH and stuff.

Yes, the paths get long, the manpaths even longer, but if you run a
large site, you get to hate programs that wont work unless they (and
stuff they depend upon) end up in /usr/local all the time.

> My automake will do either trivially - I'm really more concerned about what
> should be in a default sun binary package if it was offered for download...

The thing is that people like me are "accustomed" to sun packages
ending up in /opt. In fact, I'm so used to it that I make /opt a
single large partition, and move /usr/local-stuff to /opt/local instead,
and have /usr in the same partition as /, just because Sunpackages,
compilers and 3rd-party packaged stuff _will_ end up there anyhow.

I'm not saying that ./configure on a solaris should auto-point
to /opt, but packages should imho.

--
-"Some mornings it's just not worth gnawing through the straps."