Re: --quote and -DELE

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 15:58:15 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 13 Mar 2001, Antony Dovgal wrote:

> > First out, you didn't specify a URL properly in this line.

> Sorry, maybe you can help me with that? How to specify URL properly?

Just write the URL on the command line, that defines the file to transfer. Or
if uploading, the URL to create.

> Without user & pswd in url?

You either use the -u option or write it like
http://user:password@host.com/path/to/file.html

> I've meant, that if I use a double qoute without slash - curl doesn't
> execute operations AT ALL - without saying a word.

That is because you've specified a bunch of options to curl, but no URL. Add
a URL to transfer to the line.

You should not add the URL as the file part of the DELE operation. DELE is an
FTP command and it accepts only a plain file name (if at all).

> >I had no idea. I don't use windows. Normal operating
> >systems don't work that way.

> I know, Win is not the best, but it's the most widely distributed OS, and
> if a program was created to deal with that OS, please don't say, that
> there is so much better OSes

Well open your eyes, the reality is out there and there are a lot of better
OSes but that is not to be discussed here. Curl works on a lot of good and
bad OSes. The hard part is to know all the different quirks of the different
OSes to write docs that are working and syntacticly correct on all platforms.

> I hope in this problem the reason in me, not in cURL or Win. Cause, if
> not - it will be fairly saying BAD...

I've already told you, and I'll do it again: you can't do FTP operations when
doing FTP over a HTTP proxy. That's not a curl limitation or even an
operating system limitation, it is just the way http proxies work. FTP
operations are translated into HTTP operations in those cases and then
there's no --quote possibility.

So, it is not your, curl's, my or window's fault. It is the HTTP protocol
spec and the fact that you have to use a http proxy to access ftp sites.

> So, please, if you can help me with that problem, write out how to delete
> file using cURL behind proxy.

There's no way using any tool beside the HTTP DELETE and http proxy tunnel
options that you explained don't work.

I'm sorry, but I can't figure out any solution to your problem! ;-(