Re: --quote and -DELE

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 14:48:06 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 13 Mar 2001, Antony Dovgal wrote:

> I've read manual, some postings in this archive, but I've found ONLY
> QUESTIONS and aswers like that "use -Q '-DELE filename' command" (I must
> say that the same was written in the manual - then why did you answer so?
> Do you think we can't read but trying to work with cURL? )

I wrote the answer like that because that is how to do it. What else did you
expect me to say? If you don't understand my explanation, that's fair and
there might be reasons. I don't claim to be an expert in writing docs or even
to cover all the bits of curl in the docs.

Post me updates and improvements instead.

> BAT-file content:
> --------------
> curl -v -o answer.htm -U user:pswd -x proxy:8080
> --quote '-DELE ftp://user:pswd@ftp.site.com/file.htm'
> --------------

First out, you didn't specify a URL properly in this line. Secondly, you
can't use -Q and FTP operations when doing the operations through a HTTP
proxy. You can only do FTP operations with a http proxy if you're allowed to
tunnel through it, as is done with -p. Most proxy admins won't allow that
though.

> GET ftp://user:pswd@ftp.site.com/file.htm HTTP/1.0

It made this only because your "BAT-file" didn't treat the '-letters as I
would have expect it. I would've guessed your bat file example would simply
have outputed: no URL specifed.

> what's this? I sad DELETE it!

No. The -Q operation is an FTP command to do before (or after) the actual URL
is transfered. It says so in the docs. You need to figure out how raw FTP
commands look like and work (RFC959 is a good start). They don't work that
way. So, you need a proper URL on the command line and you need a -Q option.

> It seems like he doesn't understand at all the command --quote!

No, it won't when you're using a http proxy. I don't think this is noted in
the docs...

> I'm not pretending to be the first who have discovered it, but slash
> before double qoutes helps a lot!

In fact, I believe you *are* the first. At least the first who post this here
and who tells me. I had no idea. I don't use windows. Normal operating
systems don't work that way.

> I mean --quote \"-DELE filename\" works, but --quote "-DELE filename"
> DOESN'T.

Then what's the problem? Why don't you just use this working line?