persistant leftovers

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 13:39:11 +0100 (MET)

Hey ho

A status roundup, here's a the current list of things left to get done before
a full version with persistant connections can be released:

 == Things Left To Do For Full Persistant Connection Support ==

 (ordered somewhat in relevance-order)

 * Chunked transfer encoding

 * Fix persistance for HTTP proxies

 * Stop reading a HTTP HEAD response after all headers are received (for
   persistance)

 * move the sighandler setup to get done only once

 * move the win32 socket init stuff to get done only once (in src/main.c)

 * make curl (the command line tool) use persistant connections

 * support (some) close-policies

 * support CURLOPT_MAXCONNECTIONS (set the maximum amount of possible
   simultaneosly open connections)

 * support CURLOPT_DONT_REUSE_THIS (to enforce a close on the upcoming
   transfer)

 * support CURLOPT_USE_FRESH_CONNECTION (to enforce that the upcoming
   connection is not a re-used connection)

 == Misc Notes ==

 * I changed the 'maxdownload' check in the transfer loop, make sure
   download ranges work for ftp!

 * When doing a connection re-use, how do we know it is still "alive"?
   (attempted solution seems to work with HTTP at least)