Re: bug/problem with cURL 7.6.1

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2001 18:32:37 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 2 Mar 2001, Dan Dickerson wrote:

> I have found a site that seems to be able to repel cURL, and a possible
> "bug" with cURL. (Under Win98)

Now, I haven't tried this myself on win98 so there might be some platform
dependent stuff I've failed to see.

> First the site:
> http://www.lasuperiorcourt.org/CivilRegister/Search.asp
>
> I need to "mimic" entering data on this form. I tried calling curl with
> the following line:
>
> curl -d @test.txt -L -v -e ;auto -o testing.htm
> http://www.lasuperiorcourt.org/CivilRegister/Search.asp
>
> test.txt consists of a single line:
> CaseNumber=BC197241&District=
>
> Does anyone have a clue as to what I am doing wrong?

As Erdmut Pfeifer already said, you're posting to the wrong URL. I did this
trick:

 curl http://www.lasuperiorcourt.org/CivilRegister/Search.asp | formfind.pl

(formfind being my tiny perl script from the curl web site that extracts form
info from a web page)

and it said:

--- FORM report. Uses POST to URL "Validatecase.asp"
Input: CaseNumber (TEXT)
Select: District
Button: "Search" (SUBMIT)
--- end of FORM

So, I tried your case number and had a go with:

  curl -d "CaseNumber=BC197241&District=" -L -v -e ";auto" -o dump
  http://www.lasuperiorcourt.org/CivilRegister/Validatecase.asp

... it worked like charm. The 'dump' file of mine seems to contain a web page
with case number BC197241.

> Now for the "bug". The -v (verbose) switch in the above line does not
> seem to do anything. I thought that I followed the directions in the
> manual pages, but I may be missing something.

It doesn't? In my display I get to see all sorts of info, including the POST
and GET lines that curl sends.

Anyone else with curl on windows that can bring some light to -v possibly not
working at times?

(I tested this with curl 7.5.1 because I had that one lying around.)