sub projects and status

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 09:48:54 +0100 (MET)

I'm reaching a 7.6.1 release within days (if you have stuff you want in
there, tell me now!). Meanwhile, these are key areas I think need attention
in the near future, and I do appriciate all the help I can get here:

* Multiple file download without disconnect in between. This needs to improve
  the curl_easy_* interface.

* IPv6 support. getaddrinfo() is quite simple, but FTP needs some proper
  attention to make use of EPRT and EPSV instead of PORT and PASV that are
  too IPv4-specific.

* Cached SSL session IDs. When doing multiple HTTPS requests, this can vastly
  improve reconnect times.

 If we should take the feedback forum on the curl site seriously, curl
"doesnt even stand a chance comparing to other softwares" due to the fact
that it doesn't do parallel file download (that is an actual quote). I wish
someone would tell me what "other softwares" that curl doesn't stand a chance
against. I'm not sure we play in the same league...

Personally, I don't think parallel downloads is a high-priority feature. Of
course, if anyone is willing to work on this I'll assist and accept patches.

A few areas I know there's work being done:

* IPv6 - I'm slowly trying to adjust things. I need help from more
  experienced IPv6 hackers but if not, I believe I can do it myself within a
  few months.

* Telnet - the original telnet contributor Linus is extending the telnet
  support slightly to feature option-passing to the remote server (to set
  things like DISPLAY and TERM automatically).

* OS/390 - Troy Volin works on the OS/390 port.

As always, your views and contributions are important!