Re: question

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 07:58:31 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, dimnik wrote:

(CC'ed to the curl mailing list)

> I've just downloaded curl. very nice library, but very complicated.

Complicated? I can't think of any easier library to use for such a
complicated task...

> I'm considering writing it in c++

You're "writing it" ? You mean you're trying to convert it to C++? Why?

> (why did you chose c and not c++ from the start ?), and i'm now reverse
> engineering the code.

There are many reasons to stay out of C++ in the libcurl core:

* C++ is still a problem platformwise and portabilitywise due to the problems
  gcc has or have had in the past.
* Most unix platforms come with a C compiler
* Shared libraries should now be written in C++ due to name mangling
  problems. Using C, all languages can use the interface.
* A C++ layer can easily be made on top of a C library, the reversed is not
  possible.
* There really isn't any major improvements to do with doing it in C++ that
  a wrapper-layer couldn't do.

> Do you have any documentation for curl that can help me reverse engineer
> the code ?

Didn't you download the curl archive? It has a whole lot of docs, and the
docs is also available on the web site at http://curl.haxx.se/docs/

--
      Daniel Stenberg - http://daniel.haxx.se - +46-705-44 31 77