Re: building 7.5.1 on Redhat 5.2 (long)

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 00:36:58 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 20 Dec 2000, David West wrote:

> It turns out that config.h.in is overwritten during the make.

Urgh.

> The most obvious candidate for something wrong is a message that "this
> script requires automake 2.13" when making stamp-h1.in.

That certainly indicates a problem, yes.

> The automake on this box is version 2.12, and its binary is dated Oct
> 1998. As I mentioned, I'm not root on this box, so I can't just replace
> automake, although I could I suppose get an updated copy in my home
> subtree, if that would be used instead of the system copy.

You either do that, or you put a faked one in your path that do nothing but
output the version correct number. I mean, the package doesn't need automake
or autoconf to build, it is just that it will use them if they're around.
They don't have do actually do anything!

> Since I'm not completely sure why config.h.in is getting overwritten, I'm
> also enclosing the following partial log (sorry about the length):

The makefiles are contructed by automake, and it likes to re-generate quite a
few files when it can! ;-) That file is generated by 'autoheader' if that
tool is present.