RE: doing multiple file download

From: Stenberg Björn <Bjorn.Stenberg_at_elema.siemens.se>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 17:16:05 +0100

> Do we need some weird variable in the -o
> string like with the #<num> stuff
> for the {} and [] multiple URL stuff?

If there is a convention for specifying multiple files already, stick to it.
Otherwise a simple comma separated list seems good enough to me.

Would it be messy to also support this model:

  curl -o file1 http://url1 -o file2 http://url2

That way, the command line is more easily built from shell scripts and such.

> My second point would be the
> using-one-connection-for-many-files. I don't
> know why so many people are so stuck on this point.

Another suggestion I've heard is the opposite: one-file-many-connections,
the idea being to circumvent per-connection bandwidth caps.

> To the average user, the difference between using separate
> connections or a single one can't be noticable.

Well, some ftp servers do take horribly long time to log in to. Also, some
servers are frequently full, meaning if you disconnect between files you
risk being denied entrance.

It's not a terribly important feature, but I can see where it would be
useful.

> Anyone want to participate on this and find their way to fame
> and glory? ;-)

I'm in. Just point me in the right direction. ;)

/Björn