doing multiple file download

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 15:06:42 +0100 (MET)

Hi friends

I've been checking and commenting the suggestions on the curl site feedback
department lately (http://curl.haxx.se/feedback/list.cgi) and I can't help
noticing that there's this repeated request:

        multiple file download

So, let's get down to tech immediately:

I want to start with adding multiple URL support to the tool. We can add that
without modifying the library. There's nothing that prevents us to add that
today, but we have a interface issue when it comes to output file naming.
Using -O there's problem, but what if that isn't enough? Do we need some
weird variable in the -o string like with the #<num> stuff for the {} and []
multiple URL stuff?

My second point would be the using-one-connection-for-many-files. I don't
know why so many people are so stuck on this point. To the average user, the
difference between using separate connections or a single one can't be
noticable. However, since it is often requested, I want to get your input on
how the library should be modified to deal with these ones. There's also this
library issue like how the client will get to know when the next (which is
next?) file starts to download (or calls the write callback).

Anyone want to participate on this and find their way to fame and glory? ;-)