Re: curl: (1) SSL is disabled error...for non-standard directory installation

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 14:39:05 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 10 Nov 2000, Maarten Gerbrands wrote:

> curl: (1) SSL is disabled, https: not supported!
>
> My config-output:
>
> checking for openssl/x509.h... yes
> checking for openssl/rsa.h... yes
> checking for openssl/crypto.h... yes
> checking for openssl/pem.h... yes
> checking for openssl/ssl.h... yes
> checking for openssl/err.h... yes
> checking for RAND_status... yes
> checking for RAND_screen... no

You forgot to show us the very important two lines above the openssl/x509.h
check, where it checks for the two critical ssl libraries:

checking for CRYPTO_lock in -lcrypto... yes
checking for SSL_connect in -lssl... yes

Both of them must be 'yes'.

> but what I don't understand, it can't find 'RAND_screen'.

That's simply because RAND_screen is only documented to exist on win32
systems. Curl doesn't require it, it uses it only if it's present .

> I compiled it over and over again with 'make clean' and 'rm config.cache'
> and it don't seem to work.

I'd guess it is the good old RSAglue/rsaref stuff as mentioned in the INSTALL
file. I think I may have fixed this in my latest configure. If it turns to be
this reason, I'd really like you to try my new configure on your system!