Re: Authentication format???

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 08:47:26 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, Kevin P Roth wrote:

> A follow-up question: does -u (and -U) accept any format other than
> user:pass?

Nope.

> This doesn't seem like it'd be difficult, except you'd have to somehow
> designate that this is an encoded user/pass instead of just a plain
> username without a password...

Yes, accepting another format would be really easy.

> I'm thinking it would be nice to pass the user/pass already Base64'd
> here, so my -H workaround would flow better.

Would it? I would actually consider the -H hack easier to understand and
follow than a -u with the name and password base64'ed together.

Then, I'm probably not like the ordinary user.

> Oops... (duh) I'm on win32, running Windows NT 4 workstation, service
> pack 6a. When I run curl like so:
>
> M:\>curl -u USERNAME http://testweb/thr/t.asp
>
> the next thing I see (on the very next line) is this-
>
> password:
>
> and when I type my password, it shows up in clear-text.

Ouch.

Then: how do you shut off the echoing in a win32 system? Angus Mackay was
friendly enough to write the lib/getpass.c file a long time ago, although he
didn't really target win32 and neither have I.

Any win32 coder around that could help us fix this?