Re: Authentication format???

From: Kevin P Roth <kproth_at_MarathonOil.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 12:10:38 -0500

>>> Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> 10/25/00 11:56 AM >>>
> Certainly! I always appriciate improvements. If you'd update one of the
> docs files and send me a regular diff -c or diff -u patch, I'd apply it
> instantly!

I'll see what I can do. I work on Windows NT, but thankfully there exists a version of GNU diff that I can run (thanks to the CygWin project), so this shouldn't be too tough...

> True, but copying the -H option is just as easy as copying a -u option.
> If seen in a ps-list or similar I mean.

Yes, but what I'm trying to do is keep my info in a way that's not quite so obvious to some of my less-than-technical coworkers. I'm well aware that it's not secure...

A follow-up question: does -u (and -U) accept any format other than user:pass? This doesn't seem like it'd be difficult, except you'd have to somehow designate that this is an encoded user/pass instead of just a plain username without a password... I'm thinking it would be nice to pass the user/pass already Base64'd here, so my -H workaround would flow better.

> cURL does attempt to disable echoing. If it doesn't on your platform,
> there's room for improvements! (I believe in complete echo disable in good
> old unix-style, I don't like *-style)

> As you say, it is rather platform-specific. But if you start and tell us
> what platform you're using and what it looks like when curl prompts you
> for a password, we can take it from there! ;-)

Oops... (duh) I'm on win32, running Windows NT 4 workstation, service pack 6a. When I run curl like so:

M:\>curl -u USERNAME http://testweb/thr/t.asp

the next thing I see (on the very next line) is this-

password:

and when I type my password, it shows up in clear-text. If I use -U instead of -u, I see-

proxy password:

and the same clear-text thing happens.

Thanks,
--Kevin