RE: hanging URL

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 11:25:25 +0200 (MET DST)

On Thu, 21 Sep 2000, Priebe, Jason wrote:

> Worked like a charm.

I'm happy it was possible to get it to work. It also explains why I got it to
work with curl through a proxy.

> Is it possible to assemble the request string in a buffer and then send
> it all at once?

Yes, of course everything is possible. It is possible to make a single buffer
to contain the entire request and to send it off in one shot.

However, there are occations when that buffer would become quite large. Also,
it would make the program a bit more complex.

I think this is a very good example when it is time to consider things. As
has been said, this is NOT a subject that should make any difference to TCP
and standard client/servers based on TCP/IP. The problem here is in the
TCP/IP layer or as has been described in the application layer (when wrong
assumptions are made about how requests are read()). This is clearly an
error.

Then again, the browsers seem to send a one-shot request which makes them
survive this "terror". Curl is made very much with the intention of emulating
a browser. Shouldn't curl then emulate the browsers to this extent as well?

I don't have answer to these question just yet. I've read the comments posted
so far, and I can see valid arguments for both "sides".

I'll have to think about this a bit further. If anyone has any additional
views on this, or plain suggestions, feel free to post them!