hanging URL

From: Priebe, Jason <priebe_at_wral.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 09:21:35 -0400

Here's a strange situation. I'm trying to use curl to validate
a URL on the CBS Web site:

http://www.cbs.com/

curl hangs on this connection. Netscape has no problem, and
neither does the GET script bundled with perl's LWP.

I tried opening a manual telnet connection to port 80 on
www.cbs.com and issued a full HTTP/1.0 request:

GET / HTTP/1.0
Host: www.cbs.com

(followed, of course, by two newlines). Nothing. The server
hangs. Then I tried issuing a simple HTTP request:

GET /

Instantly, I get the content. This is really strange behavior,
especially since they appear to be using Apache 1.3.12. I have
never seen a server that won't respond to the full HTTP request.

Then the bigger question is how does Netscape deal with this?
I even tried sending a Netscape (Mozilla) User Agent header with
the request. No luck.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Jason Priebe
WRAL OnLine