Re: curl with SSL

From: Claude Cormier <techsupport_at_devises-or.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 16:37:43 -0400

Hello Daniel, Jochen, Dan

First I want to thank you for helping me on this installation.

Guys... My first 5 days in the Unix world have not been a vacation but I
will get through it. I definitively need that you suggest to me a course
of action as SSL is still not supported within my curl installation.
Here is what I did:

1)
Remember that I am installing this in a custom account where $HOME=/u/me
I am on a FeeBSD2.2.8 system with openssl'.h files installed in
/usr/local/include/openssl and the openssl'lib file in /usr/local/lib

2)
Unzip curl-7_1_tar.gz in /u/me/src

3)
cd to u/me/src/curl-7.1
rm config.cache

4)
setenv CPPFLAGS -I/usr//local/include/openssl
setenv LDFLAGS -L/usr/local/lib

5) (I am going with the non-static compile)
./configure
        --with-ssl=/usr/local
        --prefix=/u/me
        --mandir=/u/me/man

6) At this point I tried a make install and it works fine for HTTP: but
HTTPS is not supported. I no longer have the problem to access the .h
files, however the problem mentioned by Jochen with the lib not being
picked up because of -lcrypto appears:

configure:2674: checking for gethostbyname_r
configure:2702: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -I/usr/local/include/openssl
-I/usr/local/include/openssl -I/usr/local/include -L/usr/local/lib
conftest.c -lssl -lcrypto -L/usr/local/lib 1>&5
configure:2696: Undefined symbol `_gethostbyname_r' referenced from text
segment
configure: failed program was:
#line 2679 "configure"

So as suggested by Jochen I went manually into /curl-7.1/src/makefile
and /curl-7.1/lib/makefile and change

LIBS = -lssl -lcrypto -L/usr/local/lib
LIBS = -L/usr/local/lib -lssl -lcrypto

Did make install and guess what: curl HTTP is working but curl HTTPS is
still not !!

7) now I checked again config.log and found that

alloca.h, getopt.h, termio.h, winsock.h and io.h are not found. Could
this be a problem?
or the openssl lib is still not OK ??

Any of you has a good idea.

Thanks, Claude