Re: No more vprintf() error

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 16:30:04 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 14 Aug 2000, Claude Cormier wrote:

> I'll do a make install.. But I remember reading about the default
> installation being in /usr/.. and also the use of --prefix in configure.
>
> If my home is /u/me/ and the curl directory is /u/me/src/curl-7.1/,
> should I have
>
> --prefix=/u/me
>
> or
>
> --prefix/u/me/src/curl-7.1

The prefix is the root dir of your to-become installation. If you leave it at
default, the curl binary will be put in /usr/local/bin, the include files in
/usr/local/include and the lib in /usr/local/lib. If you set the prefix to be
/u/me, you'll get the binary in /u/me/bin/, the lib in /u/me/lib and the
include files in /u/me/include etc.

There's also another parameter you can play with, and that is like:

        make install DESTDIR=/tmp

... which will make '/tmp' to get prepended to all the install path names. So
if you run './configure --prefix=/u/me' and then the install line as above,
it'll try to install all the files in the /tmp/u/me/ directory tree.

and you can always do 'make -n install' to have make only display what it
would do without actually do it...

--
      Daniel Stenberg - http://daniel.haxx.se - +46-705-44 31 77