Re: New to cURL

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 21:31:32 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 11 Aug 2000, Claude Cormier wrote:

> I am new to cURL

Welcome to the ever shiny and happy world of curl! ;-)

> My hostserver doesn't have cURL so I will need to install.
>
> I need to know if I need to install both cURL and libcURL.

If you get curl 7, you don't have a choice! ;-) When you enter 'make
install', it'll install whatever's necessary. In this case, yes it is both
libcurl, curl, the include files and the man pages.

> In short, what is the difference between cURL and libcURL?

curl is a command line tool for getting, sending and fiddling with files
using URL syntax. libcurl is the underlying engine that does all the fun you
can do with curl. curl is merely the user front-end to libcurl.

If you use a rather recent version of PHP, it'll support using libcurl as a
module and you won't need curl. For such details though, you'd have to
consult a PHP person. I am not such a one! ;-)

> In what language are they written?

Pure and plain C.

--
      Daniel Stenberg - http://daniel.haxx.se - +46-705-44 31 77