RE: problems on communicating with a banks server

From: <Nico.Baggus_at_mail.ing.nl>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 15:01:34 +0100

Hi,

You have two ways you can pass information back to the user:

1) the return status of the form: it is in the HTTP header sent to you
        as a reply to the GET/PUT/POST/HEAD etc. request.
        it is the second word on the firstline of a reply.

        Like: HTTP/1.1 200 OK
        or: HTTP/1.1 401 Authorisation required

2) in the contents of a page. And that has to be strictly defined
        to be of use.

3) You can use a form as a reply (#2) and add some (hidden) fields on it
        then you have some means of HTML structured answers.

For the number 2 and 3 to work you need control over (part of) the page
that is sent to the user as a reply.

For the number 1 option you need control over the CGI-scripts as they should
return
some statuscode (That is within specs of HTTP).

The HTTP Protocol & HTML Langage were defined for human use.....
and now we are trying to automate talking to an interface designed
for humans, free layout, free text (free everything ;-).
Personaly I believe it will become a nightmare in this way.

Do you have a posibility to define some other protocol (you can use SSL
even then) and handle transaction without the (in this case) hassle of
HTTP & HTML. In other words, Roll-Your-Own.
Then you are in total control.

(Are you the designer/builder of the interface or the victim of
an existing interface that is fed to/forced upon you)

I Hope this helps,

Nico Baggus

PLEASE NOTE:
The information contained in this electronic mail message is
privileged and confidential, and is intended only for use of the
addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other
use of this communication is strictly prohibited.
the sender by reply transmission and delete the message without
copying or disclosing it.