RE: FTP put PASS/PASV problems

From: Daniel Stenberg <Daniel.Stenberg_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 17:47:52 +0200 (MET DST)

On Tue, 6 Jun 2000, Rich Gray wrote:

> * We have successfully logged in
> > PASV
> < 227 Entering Passive Mode (xxxxxx,5,195)
> * Connecting to yyyyyyyyyyyy.com (xxxxxx) port 1475
> curl: (16) Can't connect to ftp server
>
> I have to wonder if the problem with PASV is a firewall at this remote
> site.

It looks as if that site is firewalled with something that blocks other ports
than 21 (at least something seems to be blocking port 1475).

> How does one tell a classical ftp client to use PASV? I should try that.
> (I tried toggling "sendport", but all that seems to have done was to try
> the transfer without doing PORT or PASV!)

... which then should use the default data port on 22 if I'm not mistaking.

Hm, thinking about it and checking the man page I don't know!

> In theory, I have access to two of these Sequent boxes, so I will port
> curl and see how they talk to each other. They appear to be co-located,
> so this should bypass firewall issues. Guess this is what I will do
> next.

That will at least bring this a step onwards in whatever direction it turns
out.

> (And see if I can get my hands on a sniffer to see what the difference is
> between the native client and curl doing PORT.)

Yes, that would be very interesting to know.

So, I'm left here with the feeling that there's something wrong lurking in
the shadows, although I can't do much more than agree with your theories and
wish you good luck in your search!

--
      Daniel Stenberg - http://daniel.haxx.se - +46-705-44 31 77