Re: is there a need for a better libcurl?

From: Daniel Stenberg <Daniel.Stenberg_at_netinsight.se>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 14:23:01 +0200

Rangel Reale wrote:

> My intent was to create a download server to run on Linux, controlled by a
> web page, so users would ask the server to download the file, it would stay
> on a queue, and the user should be able to see its current progress. I can't
> do that with the current version.

I've never been happy with the current library interface. It was made this
way just because it was the quickest way and it suited my purpose for the
moment.

Adding a new callback for the progress meter would improve the interface for
you, and if you would make the changes required and send me a patch I'd
incorporate it. That goes for a lot of changes I don't do. It generally
doesn't mean I wouldn't approve them, just that I have different priorities.

There are many reasons why I haven't changed the interface for libcurl and
instead hung on to this crippled beast. The most important one being that
nobody has been very much interested in helping me out and second that I
don't see the point in patching a badly designed interface, even if it would
make it a little less bad. I want to *redesign* it to make it much better.
Also, if I would make it less bad, even less people are likely to be willing
to join the "redesign libcurl" project!

--
 Daniel Stenberg, Software Developer
 Daniel.Stenberg_at_haxx.nu, +46-705-443177, www.contactor.se/~dast