Can't get SSL support!

From: adam beecher <adam_at_iewebs.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 00:21:24 -0000

Hi there,

I can't seem to get cURL compiled with SSL support (RedHat 6.0, i686). I've
tried several times with everything in the install instructions:

./configure
./configure --with-ssl
./configure --with-ssl=/usr/local/ssl
CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/ssl/include" LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/ssl/lib"
./configure
CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/ssl/include" LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/ssl/lib"
./configure --with-ssl
CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/ssl/include" LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/ssl/lib"
./configure --with-ssl=/usr/local/ssl

I think I typed everything correctly, and it configures correctly, makes ok
and works perfectly for "curl http://www.netscape.com". However, when I try
"curl https://secure.iewebs.com", it tells me "curl: (1) SSL is disabled,
https: not supported!"

I also searched the mailing list and found a long thread
<http://curl.haxx.nu/archive/0166.html> in last years archive which seems to
replicate to some extent the problems I'm getting, like configure not being
able to find some of the include files:

checking where to look for SSL... /usr/local/ssl
checking for CRYPTO_lock in -lcrypto... (cached) yes
checking for SSL_connect in -lssl... (cached) yes
checking for openssl/x509.h... (cached) no
checking for openssl/rsa.h... (cached) yes
checking for openssl/crypto.h... (cached) yes
checking for openssl/pem.h... (cached) no
checking for openssl/ssl.h... (cached) no
checking for openssl/err.h... (cached) yes
checking for x509.h... (cached) no
checking for rsa.h... (cached) yes
checking for crypto.h... (cached) yes
checking for pem.h... (cached) no
checking for ssl.h... (cached) no
checking for err.h... (cached) yes

I tried tinkering around with some of the solutions mentioned there too, but
with no results. Then I gave the rpm a go, and it tells me that:

libcrypto.so.0 is needed by curl-ssl-6.4-1
libssl.so.0 is needed by curl-ssl-6.4-1

Which seems fairynuff, because they don't seem to be where (or what) they
should be - there's a libssl.so in /usr/lib/apache and a libcrypt.so (no
"o") in /usr/lib. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? I would appreciate a fairly
dumbed down answer - I'm really a bit of an amateur, and I only understand
the basics. I would like to get this installed though, because I'm trying to
write some PHP scripts to interface with a transaction server, and cURL
would seem to be perfect for the job.

Cheers,
adam

Adam Beecher - CEO & Core Geek - ieWebs™

Email ... adam_at_iewebs.com
Phone ... +353 (0)86 2529887
Fax ... +353 (0)86 8544767
Web ... http://iewebs.com
PGP ... http://pgp.iewebs.com
Mail ... Box 81, Eglinton St, Cork, Ireland