curl / Mailing Lists / curl-meet / Single Mail

Better curl --help demo

From: Dan Fandrich <dan_at_coneharvesters.com>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2020 00:50:27 +0200

I gave a talk for curl://up 2020 this weekend about how we might improve the
curl help system. With 231 options, "curl -h" just overwhelms the user right
now. I quickly coded up a demo of what I had in mind so people can get a
flavour of what it might look like in practise. Run this script just like you
would curl itself and give it the --help option (and --help-demo) to see what
it's capable of (and what it might be capable of if actually implemented):
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/curl/curl/dfandrich/help/docs/examples/curlh

See the talk and slides with more details at
https://github.com/curl/curl-up/wiki/2020 (along with all the other prerecorded
talks).