Re: Certificates from Windows Store

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2020 16:03:40 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 21 Sep 2020, David Weisgerber via curl-library wrote:

> this might be a little bit off-topic but at least in my case it touches the
> curl-library: I am using the openssl-built curl library in a application
> under windows and in order to get it use the latest certificates, I add the
> certificates from the windows trust stores manually to the open ssl context.

Note that we have CURLSSLOPT_NATIVE_CA now since 7.71.0, still marked
"experimental" but could be worth experimenting with.

> It seems as if there is a magic download of the root certificates happening
> when the Internet Explorer visits a SSL site with an unknown root
> certificate.

There's a TLS extension made for this purpose, called AIA (Autority
Information Access) so it's not unthinkable behavior.

> Is anyone aware of how to emulate this behaviour with the Win32 API without
> using the Internet Explorer?

I'm afraid I'm of no help there. =(

--
  / daniel.haxx.se | Commercial curl support up to 24x7 is available!