Re: time to remove Visual Studio project files?

From: RE lesgoe via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2020 19:08:03 -0700

On Sat, Sep 5, 2020 at 8:35 AM Daniel Stenberg via curl-library
<curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se> wrote:

> I was hoping that building curl on windows could be narrowed down to primarily
> be using these:
>
> - nmake for building with visual studio (winbuild/)
> - configure for msys/mingw style builds
> - cmake for the rest
> - (mingw makefiles for the adventureous, but they remain mostly undocumented)

If there is going to be any sort of consolidation effort, it should
be to solely maintain a set of CMakefiles. The purpose of CMake is
to generate all those different varieties of makefiles, visual studio
project files, etc. from a single set of instructions.
https://cmake.org/cmake/help/latest/manual/cmake-generators.7.html

Now, that won't be possible at the moment with all the limitations
of the existing CMake code.
https://github.com/curl/curl/blob/master/docs/INSTALL.cmake#L21-L36