Re: CII Best Practices: curl now at Silver level

From: Niall O'Reilly via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2020 19:52:50 +0100

On 12 Jun 2020, at 10:41, Daniel Stenberg via curl-library wrote:

> "The project MUST clearly identify small tasks that can be performed
> by new
>> or casual contributors"
>
> ... as this then seems to be *the only* remaining critera for curl
> reaching gold level CII Best Practices, I'm tempted to do something
> about it. I haven't worked out exactly what or how.

I don't know what motivates this requirement, or how it may have been
coloured by an assumption of uniformity of project leadership/management
style across the universe of projects. There seems to be an underlying
idea that the "small tasks" can be identified in advance. It ain't
necessarily so.

It may well be that a casual contributor is better able than the core
team to identify a previously unconsidered work item that fits the
"small
task" description, simply on account of having a different perspective.

I'm just such a casual contributor. Some of the results of small tasks
I've performed were deemed useful and committed to the code; others,
inappropriate or not timely. That's all fine.

Checking the spelling (as suggested by Jeffrey Walton), or the grammar,
or the clarity of the documentation is always a set of unfinished tasks,
each of them small, each a perfect fit to the requirement.

I think it would send a very positive message about the culture of this
project to include some explicit statement, encouraging a casual
reviewer,
whose experience equips them to identify a potential improvement here or
there, to engage by proposing their own "small tasks".

 From my experience, the encouraging culture is already there.
Don't be shy about documenting it: go for gold!

Niall O'Reilly