Re: anything to add to the 2020 survey?

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2020 13:14:05 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 11 May 2020, Dan Fandrich via curl-library wrote:

> - There were a high number of people indicating that they were building curl
> with other than the standard build systems we support. It would be
> interesting to know what people are using instead. Are people using
> Bazel? Scons? Are all those people just using Android's build system? Maybe
> add a "custom" option and write-in text to capture anything else. Also,
> maybe a write-in slot asking people what build system they would like us to
> support.

Good point. For some reason I had't made that question use the "other" option
that let people fill in a custom response. I'll make sure that's used this
time as then we can use people's write-ins to understand what's used and as a
basis of what to add as options next year.

> - The question if people were using "the internal libcurl progress meter"
> probably still isn't clear enough. It should explicitly say "NOT the one
> you get with -# or --progress-bar".

Ah right. In fact, asking about this feature is probably wrong unless we
emphasize that we only want to know if the user uses this *in their own
application* and not with the curl command line tool. The way the question is
asked, it asks more about "general" curl features used and not specific
libcurl APIs when users write their own apps.

Based on this, I think I should instead completely remove the "the internal
libcurl progress meter" question.

I think I once put the question there to make us get feedback to help figuring
out if we can ever remove the internal progress meter feature, but I don't
think we want to do that anyway so the question's value is now questionable.

--
  / daniel.haxx.se | Commercial curl support up to 24x7 is available!