Re: common libcurl mistakes?

From: Samuel Hurst via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2020 09:25:38 +0000

Hi Daniel,

On 27/03/2020 08:43, Daniel Stenberg via curl-library wrote:
> I'm running a little poll on twitter [1], asking for interest in a
> talk/video with the title "Common mistakes when using libcurl and how to
> fix them!". I gather there's interest enough for me to actually do it,
> and therefore I've collected an initial list of mistakes [2] to talk about.

I think it's a great idea, as it's a really useful feedback mechanism
for keeping documentation relevant. Even if you think you've put
appropriate gotchas in your docs, if users keep making the same mistakes
then maybe your documentation isn't clear enough.

> The list is based on posts on this list over the years, issue people
> have filed and general discussions with users and other curl members.
>
> Please help me propose other and additional mistakes or nuances you
> think I could or should highlight in such a presentation!

One thing that's caught me out a couple of times is OpenSSL and
CURLOPT_NOSIGNAL. The documentation is much improved nowadays, but the
specific SIGPIPE-death scenario is somewhat confusingly in the thread
safety section which I definitely wouldn't be the first place I'd think
to look in when I have a signal causing my program to quit.

-Sam