Re: CURLOPT_POST with no CURLOPT_POSTFIELDS

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2020 23:12:44 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 7 Mar 2020, Jason Proctor wrote:

> I think it's reasonable for the command line tool to have a default reader
> which reads from stdin, as you're likely to want that, but for the library
> to do it seems a little unlibraryish :-)

Agreed, but unfortunately we let that get into the libary as a default around
2001 and we have no idea how many applications out there that now depends on
this behavior so we cannot change it.

> OK, I violated the API contract. I think defaulting to an empty body in the
> library case is reasonable, but if you think that this is better off as a
> documentation fix, then fair enough.

I think it is the only option we have.

Do you have any proposed wording and placement that you think would've helped
you figure this out?

--
  / daniel.haxx.se | Commercial curl support up to 24x7 is available!