Re: Very long URL returning CURLE_URL_MALFORMAT

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2020 11:34:33 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 6 Mar 2020, Robert Brose via curl-library wrote:

(I think Jeffrey's response is on track to the solution but I'll just add two
little details.)

> I run it through URL validators and it's fine.

Another trick is to pass the URL to the curl tool, which in this case also has
no problem with the URL and this proving that it isn't a length limit in
libcurl you're reaching.

> Is there some sort of maximum URL length?

There is. libcurl will refuse to handle URLs longer than 8000000 bytes. That
is 8 million bytes. The reason for this limit is simply that anything longer
than that is typically just an abuse or attack trying to do something bad.

Most popular browsers don't support URLs longer than somewhere around 10K.

--
  / daniel.haxx.se | Commercial curl support up to 24x7 is available!