Building CURL with OpenSSL

From: Jason Proctor via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 12:27:03 -0800

Dear Curlers,

Having a mostly fine time with Curl / LibCurl. Thanks for all the effort!

We prefer to build third party dependencies from source to make us
less platform dependent and so we know what we're getting. So far
building Curl from source has been problem-free. However, now we would
like to add SSL capabilities to our Curl installation, and of course
we would like to use a known good OpenSSL source distro.

I see that Curl has a configure option for pointing it at an OpenSSL
installation, but so far I have been unable to make this work. With
the latest versions of both packages, and OpenSSL successfully built
and installed, the Curl configure step can't find the (perfectly good
and fine) OpenSSL installation.

Questions - is this mechanism still supported? Are there known good
versions of Curl and OpenSSL which do this dance successfully? Is
there another route from Curl to OpenSSL built from source?

Thanks so much for any help with this.

Jason_at_Spatial