Re: How to manage buggy http/2 in MacOS and Linux

From: Jeroen Ooms via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2019 14:00:37 +0100

On Tue, Nov 19, 2019 at 9:25 AM Ray Satiro via curl-library
<curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se> wrote:

> On 11/18/2019 8:42 AM, Jeroen Ooms via curl-library wrote:
> > I maintain the libcurl R bindings which are used by 1M+ users to build
> > clients for countless web services. On MacOS and Linux, the bindings
> > link to the system version of libcurl. As of MacOS Catalina (released
> > last month) this is now libcurl 7.64.1 which is the first time that
> > http/2 is enabled by default. This is where the problems begin.
> >
> > Users that have upgraded to Catalina are reporting applications that
> > were stable before are now randomly giving "Error in the HTTP2 framing
> > layer" errors. Similar sounds from Linux users. As we know, HTTP/2
> > support in libcurl was quite buggy until very recently (eg:
> > https://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2018/09/05/curl-7-61-1-comes-with-only-bug-fixes/
> > ) and maybe still today not as reliable as HTTP/1.
> >
> > As maintainer of the bindings, I'm not sure how to handle this. One
> > solution would to be override the default CURLOPT_HTTP_VERSION in the
> > bindings to CURL_HTTP_VERSION_1_1 for certain versions of libcurl, but
> > it's hard to judge which versions of libcurl have robust http/2
> > support.
>

> "Quite buggy" is an overstatement.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be overly critical, again http/2 is incredibly
complex. But in my experience, http/2 in libcurl has only very
recently become more stable. In Daniel's words from the blog 1 year
ago: "I think it is safe to say that HTTP/2 users of libcurl have
previously used it in a pretty “tidy” fashion, because I believe I
corrected four or five separate issues that made it misbehave. It was
rather pure luck that has made it still work as well as it has for
past users!". Obviously, most problems only appear when you start
multiplexing, they do not really affect single requests over the
command line.

> I am subscribed to your repo and I am not aware of issues regarding this. Without knowing what was reported I think it's premature to say.

Most of these problems are not reported in my repo, I get emailed or
tagged by users who attribute the error to the server or the package
that uses curl. But if you search for "Error in the HTTP2 framing
layer" there are a lot of people starting to see these errors
recently, without realizing these problems originate. Here is one
example of such a report I was trying to debug:
https://github.com/eddelbuettel/rpushbullet/issues/57