Re: Replacing the whole socket interface of libcurl

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2019 22:49:05 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 18 Nov 2019, Jeff Mears via curl-library wrote:

> It would be nice if there were a mode to have the application provide *all*
> socket routines, rather than libcurl calling functions directly. This is
> done with malloc (curl_global_init_mem), but not with sockets.

I would love this - it of course has also been requested before but I don't
think anyone ever actually tried to make it reality.

I think a (the?) main challange is that several third party libraries that we
use for various protocols themselves deliver/receive data to/from the sockets.
It is therefore a work that is easy in some parts, take some work in others
and it possibly even downright impossible in a few - without also changing
those libraries. Without knowing more, and if the last category isn't too big,
we can of course still users to use such a feature as long as the
non-compliant parts aren't used...

--
  / daniel.haxx.se | Get the best commercial curl support there is - from me