Re: Connection refused - subdomain problem suspected

From: m brandenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2019 02:13:23 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 4 Sep 2019, Richard G Elen via curl-library wrote:

> We're trying to pull in the data from
> https://streams.ourstation.org:2199/rpc/ourstation/streaminfo.get. It
> constantly returns "Failed to connect to streams.ourstation.org port 2199:
> Connection refused" - but only when accessed from our admin.ourstation.org
> host. All other machines we can test from return the data flawlessly.

There isn't a lot of information here and what there is raises
questions. For example, the error message here doesn't match the PHP
code supplied.

But "Connection refused" is generally a socket error due to handshake
failure in TCP setup. This would be caused by firewalls, bad dns
setup, bad routing, bad NAT config, angry server aborting connection.
A packet trace from 'wireshark/tcpdump' would reveal what is going
on and who is responsible.

But it seems likely you have some DNS hacks/breakage. {admin,streams}.
ourstation.org do not resolve to anything so either this is more
misleading info or you have DNS hackery in play.

Finally, 'curl --libcurl' will help you write better setup code.

Monty Brandenberg, Software Engineer                               MCB, Inc.