Re: Random "couldn't resolve host" failures in curl_multi

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2019 23:33:44 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 1 Sep 2019, Sinus via curl-library wrote:

> Also, it's always the final handles that fail - n first handles work, n+1
> till the end fail to resolve, with n sometimes being all 12, sometimes 8, a
> few times 4, but I also caught it on 11.

"couldn't resolve host" means that the name resolving failed. I can't think of
a sensible reason why that would fail for just a few parallel requests. You
probably want to check what's happening under the hood to figure out why. Like
perhaps wireshark the connection and watch the DNS replies.

It seems overly aggressive for a rate-limiter to kick in, but who knows.

> - what could be causing this to happen randomly?

I doubt it is random, it's more likely that you haven't figured out the
pattern...

> - why isn't the error stored in the child handle?

I don't know, I don't think that's how libcurl itself works but smells like
possibly introduced by the PHP layer (which is maintained and authored by the
PHP team).

--
  / daniel.haxx.se | Get the best commercial curl support there is - from me