Re: Regarding Async DNS resolver

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2019 14:27:06 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 16 Jul 2019, Amit wrote:

> 1> During testing, I have seen that DNS is getting resolved in 40 msec but
> request is going out of the box only in the next poll iteration. Since there
> are other high priority tasks running in the system, sometime this 100 msec
> timer event is getting processed with delay which is adding additional 100 -
> 200 msec delay and impacting the UI (user interface) experience.

Right, and I don't actually advocate using 100ms all the time. It needs to be
shorter at first and then increase over time. curl_multi_timeout() return such
timeouts.

> 2. The another issue with 100 msec polling is that my application will keep
> on polling every 100 msec and the thread in which CURL is running at
> MEDIUM priority, this would create issue for other low priority threads.

Really? When curl ends up not doing anything because there's nothing to do
yet, it takes a fraction of a millisecond on most hardware. It seems unlikely
to have a measurable impact.

> IMO it would be better to wake up the thread only when DNS is resolved
> rather than polling every 100 msec.

Agreed, that is much better. But in this case it is rather difficult. The name
resolving is done in a separate thread and there's no signalling done when the
resolve phase is completed - exactly because it doesn't use any socket/file
descriptor internally. libcurl itself polls that information when the resolver
thread is used.

I think a DNS-completed callback from the resolver-thread would be a bad idea.

The *better* fix would be to instead use a pipe/sockpair to signal that the
name resolve is complete and then have the application be able to wait on
that. But that's problematic on Windows.

--
  / daniel.haxx.se | Get the best commercial curl support there is - from me