Re: Ranged PUTs, Content-Range, and Content-Length

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 16:57:53 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 30 Apr 2019, m brandenberg via curl-library wrote:

>> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7231#section-4.3.4
>
> True but organizations that publish stable, long-lived APIs don't switch
> from 2616 to 7231 overnight.

RFC 7231 is not a new or different standard, it is instead how HTTP/1.1 was
interpreted by "everyone" so by following that I would claim we're likely to
be *more* compliant rather than less.

Still, the only "MUST NOT" wording regarding Content- headers that I find with
PUT in RFC 2616 section 9 says this:

  The recipient of the entity MUST NOT ignore any Content-* (e.g.
  Content-Range) headers that it does not understand or implement and MUST
  return a 501 (Not Implemented) response in such cases.

I don't think RFC 7231 contradicts this and I don't think curl does anything
that works against this either. curl's behavior when attempting upload resume
should rather simply mostly cause servers to respond with an error response.
Both according to RFC 2616 and 7231. From my reading of them.