Re: On the right way to use HTTP/2 multiplex

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2019 08:12:28 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 21 Mar 2019, Arnaud Rebillout via curl-library wrote:

> Since we live in a modern world, I explicitly enable `CURL_HTTP_VERSION_2_0`
> and `CURLPIPE_MULTIPLEX`, and I assume that the server supports it.

Since curl 7.62.0, those will be enabled by default anyway!

> In a **first implementation**, I just create a curl easy handle for each
> chunk I need to download (so, possibly 60k easy handles), add it to the curl
> multi, and then I let curl deal with it. I also make sure to set
> `CURLMOPT_MAX_TOTAL_CONNECTIONS` to ensure that the whole thing doesn't go
> crazy (I used 64 at first, but after more reading I wonder if I should lower
> that to 8).

For all easy handles you add to the multi handle, libcurl will try to complete
that transfer as soon as possible so unless you limit it somehow it runs them
all in parallel.

Whenever a new transfer is about to be done it will check if there's an
existing connection available to multiplex on and will do so if possible. If
not, it will create a new connection instead (unless it reached a limit first
or was informed with PIPEWAIT that waiting for a connection to multiplex on is
okay).

> I didn't find a way to to tell libcurl to pause or slow down in case
> things go too fast,

You can either curl_easy_pause() a single transfer momentarily or you can set
CURLOPT_MAX_RECV_SPEED_LARGE to cap the speed for a single transfer.

Both of these work on a single transfer though. We don't have settings that
limit the transfer speed of multiple, combined, transfers.

> Now, I take a bit of time to think, and I wonder if this second
> implementation is really the smart thing to do. More precisely: by feeding
> handles one by one (even though we might have 8 active handles in curl multi
> at the same time), do I prevent internal optimization within libcurl? How
> can libcurl multiplex efficiently if I don't tell it in advance the list of
> chunks I want to download?

It will multiplex equally good. Each new transfer you ask for will join an
existing connection - if possible - at the time it starts. There's really no
difference to curl, that decision is made when the transfer starts anyway. The
main difference between your two solutions is that in the first case you hand
over a lot of the transfer queueing to curl, while you do it yourself in the
second case.

Without having all the factors and knowledge of the solution that you do, I
would say that the second solution sounds more flexible for you. That way
gives you more room for your application to act depending on circumstances
during the transfer.

> I also take this chance to ask a second question, out of curiosity: with
> HTTP/2 multiplex enabled, will libcurl also attempt to open concurrent
> connections, and do multiplex on all these connections? Or does it stick to
> one connection?

If there's a multiplexible connection available, that one will be used.

If not, you can make it prefer multiplexing to new connections by setting
CURLOPT_PIPEWAIT, or even limit the number of connections or host connections
that it is allowed to use.