Re: Memory consumption of DNS cache when network is down?

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2019 14:25:04 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 4 Feb 2019, Ricardo Mota via curl-library wrote:

> I'm experiencing a problem using *libcurl *due to a memory consumption
> increase in my application which queries a simple REST API in a loop
> reusing the same handle. Doing some tests, I only notice this memory
> increase when I'm using name resolution and specifically when the network
> is down. I've already tried to disable DNS cache by setting
> *CURLOPT_DNS_CACHE_TIMEOUT
> *value to 0 but the problem seems to persist. Can somebody please help me
> debugging this problem?

What level of memory consumption increase are we talking about?

What libcurl version on what platform?

I don't think what you're describing is a particularly strong indication that
the increase is indeed the DNS cache, and in fact since the cache is used to
store name to address data and you say you use it in a loop so surely you just
store the same name over and over (or even just reuse the cached content)?

so... how can we reproduce this issue?