Question: how to specify a different identity using IMAP PLAIN auth?

From: Julian Espérat via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2019 18:08:49 +0100

Hi,

The IMAP AUTHENTICATE PLAIN commands expects the value to be

I could not find how to tell cURL to use something else than the
username in the the "identity" part of the AUTH command above, which
is required to access a shared Office 365 inbox through IMAP.

When using USERPWD="username:password" cURL sends the following IMAP command:
AUTHENTICATE PLAIN <base64(username \0 username \0 password)>

I tried different thing, including variations of
USERPWD="username\identity:password" and "username:identity:password"
but could not achieve it.

Is there an option I missed? If not, can we do a feature request?

Thanks a lot,

Julian.