sftp fails with LIBSSH2_ERROR_SOCKET_RECV

From: Shane de Deuge via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2018 16:56:02 +1100

Hello,

I have an embedded linux distribution (yocto 2.2) where I have compiled
curl with libssh2 to enable sftp.

curl -V responds with:
curl 7.61.0 (arm-poky-linux-gnueabi) libcurl/7.61.0 OpenSSL/1.0.2n
zlib/1.2.11 libssh2/1.8.0
Release-Date: 2018-07-11
Protocols: file ftp ftps http https scp sftp
Features: AsynchDNS IPv6 Largefile NTLM NTLM_WB SSL libz TLS-SRP
UnixSockets HTTPS-proxy

When attempting to connect to an sftp server it returns immediately with:
curl: (2) Failure establishing ssh session

Some further investigation reveals that libssh2 is returning with error -43
LIBSSH2_ERROR_SOCKET_RECV.

I have tried compiling curl and libssh2 with a myriad of different
libraries and versions to no avail. Am I missing something?

Regards,
Shane