Ending libcurl when EVT_QUERY_END_SESSION received

From: acorn12 via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2018 09:23:51 -0700

Running under Win 10, compiling with MSVC 2015 Express, static linking
libcurl 7.59

As part of my POP3 checker, I want to be able to do a clean shutdown of
the app whenever a EVT_QUERY_END_SESSION event is received from the OS.

The documentation recommends
/Instead, you need to make sure that one of the callbacks you use
returns an appropriate value that will stop the transfer/.

Looking through the error codes fro libcurl, I cannot find any way to
ensure that the error code I am intending to return from the callbacks
will not conflict with any other libcurl error code.
Will that be an issue or can I simply concoct my own error code?
TIA