Re: Minimum requirement: cmake version 3.4

From: myLC--- via curl-library <curl-library_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2018 16:13:11 +0200

On Fri, 21 Sep 2018, Daniel Stenberg--- via curl-library wrote:

> I'm not familiar with the specifics, but the bump was discussed here:
> https://github.com/curl/curl/pull/2753

As stated before, I couldn't care less - personally. I had compiled
(lib)curl only recently and simply assumed that there were no big
changes justifying a cmake version bump to 3.4. Therefore, it took
me just a few seconds to spot the incriminating lines in the
'CMakeLists.txt' file and fix them.

Many people are still running Ubuntu 14 LTS or similar "stable
releases" (especially in the server area). They will run into
problems, because of those two lines. Not all of them will be
able/bother to fix it.
All it takes for you to defuse this problem, is an if/else around
the incriminating line. Then it should build with cmake 3.2 (Ubuntu
14 LTS) again. At least, it does so without problems here.

I can understand when certain capabilities are required. For
instance, if you have C++17 code, you might request newer
compilers; all well and nice. Build tools, however, shouldn't be
'bumped up' this easily. There are simply too many around. Nobody
will bother keeping them all at the latest version. There is
usually no necessity for that. Here, this 'necessity' seems to be
of an artificial kind...