Re: An "opt-in component" policy idea

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2018 00:13:26 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 6 Jul 2018, Dennis Clarke wrote:

> What if there existed an "opt-in" feature which would enable
> curl/libcurl to send a usage status message to some end point
> collection server?

I wouldn't be totally against a system that would ask the user to invoke a
special command to pass on configuration information to us for the purpose of
finding out more about our users and their curl usage. It would have its
challenges to make sure that it preserves privacy etc, but it should certainly
be doable.

I'm not a data analyst, but I don't see how such data would tell us a lot more
than the current survey does though:

N% of users would send us their configuration.
M% of users would then change their configuration and not send the updated one
Z% of users would send multiple configurations because of multiple builds,
multiple platforms, etc
Y% of users will not send anything at all (and we can't even know how large
portion this is)
X% of users will send garbage, made up configurations or other deceptive sets

... and so on.