Re: should we really offer axTLS support ?

From: Michael Felt <michael_at_felt.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2018 10:35:01 -0400

On 6/2/2018 8:20 AM, Patrick Monnerat wrote:
> This is true for third party libraries, not for those provided as a
> part of the OS. Is cURL a benefit to commercial platforms for free ?
> If yes, by following your above statement, we should stop supporting
> them.
>
> Don't take these words too strictly: I have been absurdly extremist
> only for the purpose of demonstration ;-) All this stuff is a matter
> of compromises.
I package (for AIX), and try to support by reporting test failures (much
different than bug reporting, imho) and I package from the perspective
that the dependencies should be as small as possible - ideally none.

As to OS400 (IBM i would be better these days) support and TLS
weaknesses. Quick question: could you use PACE and maybe openssl.base
for AIX - and my package? If yes, then that may be a solution for weak
TLS support in IBM i.

Cases like this are not curl's to solve. When the OS provider is not
resolving it - this is not a responsibility for curl. Maybe it is a
responsibility, or better a service, a packager provides. Daniel, e,g,.
is usually friendly enough to assist with understanding possible
solutions. Again, that does not make it his responsibility for permanent
maint, or even inclusion in curl.

my two bits,
Michael