Is it safe to use ":" as proxy user/pwd when none required ?

From: Nicolás Ojeda Bär <n.oje.bar_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2018 18:36:26 +0200

Dear all,

First of all, thanks for this great library.

I am deploying libcurl under Windows in a corporate environment where
proxies are used. One of my users had success passing ":" as proxy
user/password in order to authenticate.

If I understand correctly, this tells libcurl to use, under some
circumstances and protocol combinations, the Windows credentials to
authenticate.

My question is: is it safe to always pass ":" as proxy user/password, even
in the case where no username/password is required? Do you see any issues
with doing this? Unfortunately, I am not able to test this in the actual
environment, which is why I am asking here.

Thanks!

Best wishes,
Nicolás