Re: curl and PGP/GPG

From: Aleksandar Lazic <al-curllibrary_at_none.at>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2018 11:18:44 +0200

Hi Patrick.

Am 25-05-2018 19:03, schrieb Patrick Monnerat:
> On 05/25/2018 06:30 PM, Alain Reymond wrote:
>> Hello Patrick,
>>
>> Thank you for your answer.
>> We use HTML because we found it easy to use sendgrid to send emails.
>> But
>> we can easily change to SMTP.
>> My concern was how can I create an email using curl (like we do now),
>> attach files, encrypt and send it.
>> We would like to use gpg. A message encrypted with gpg is easy to
>> decrypt with Thunderbid/Enigmail as it is automatically recognized as
>> an
>> gpg-encrypted email.
>> Thank you for the links. I'll have a look at it.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Alain
>
> Please, don't top-post:
> https://curl.haxx.se/mail/etiquette.html#Do_Not_Top_Post

That's one of the main problems with gmail, IMHO.

>>> Hi Alain,
>>>

> Note also that mail encryption is currently NOT secure
> (CVE-2017-17688): https://efail.de/

Please be more precise!
https://efail.de/#mitigations

The encryption is still secure.
The attack works because of *not good* gpg/smime implementation in the
mail clients.

The bottom line for me is, don't use HTML emails!
Plaintext mails are still secure, IMHO.

You can read the full statement from the gpg developer at this link

https://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2018-May/060315.html

I find it gross negligence from eff to tell everyone

*don't use encryption in e-mails*

nowadays.

This is OT here so sorry for the rush but I think this efail
*scandal/hype*
needs to bring down to a rational discussion.

jm2c

Aleks